Key Messages As stated previously, 97% of Primary Schools are open for Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 pupils. Up to 60% of eligible pupils attended last week but due to staffing and space constraints, some smaller schools have re-opened on a part time basis. Plans are being finalised for the phased return of pupils […]
Website for Abberley Parish Council
Abberley is a parish in rural West Worcestershire situated within the Malvern Hills District Council boundaries. It is an approximate rectangle, 6 miles long and up to a mile wide. The ridge of Abberley Hill forms the long eastern boundary.
Abberley Hill is formed of an overturned thrust fold of Silurian rocks capped with a breccia of Permian age. On the west side of the hill, the sandstones, clays and coal seams of The Wyre Forest coalfield provided employment in extraction of coal from the Middle Ages until the late 1920s and clay for making bricks and tiles from at least the late fifteenth century until the middle of the twentieth century. At the east end of the parish, the underlying clays and sandstones are of Devonian age.
The settlement pattern of Abberley like many parishes in Worcester dates from at least Saxon times and is and remains a dispersed one with houses grouped around farmsteads or greens, Town Farm and Elms Green attest to this style of settlement. Recent local history projects have identified evidence of both pre-historic people and Romans living in the area as well as continuous occupation from the Medieval period to the present day. Farming remains the dominant land use, orchards are far less plentiful than they had been but hops are now being grown again.
Within the parish, a hunting lodge and its associated deer park were given to a favourite of the William the Conqueror after the Battle of Hastings but at times reverted to the Crown, the last hereditary owners, the Bromleys, sold the estate in 1836. Abberley Lodge was demolished and a new house named Abberley Hall was built by the Moilliets, a Birmingham banking family, the estate was later owned by John Joseph Jones, an Oldham industrialist and banker. After 1910, the Jones heirs chose not to live in Abberley and from 1912, the building has housed Abberley Hall preparatory school. Former pupils include a number of MPs including Geoffrey Howe, later Lord Abaravon and Philip Dunne the sitting MP for South Shropshire. Abberley’s other grand house, The Elms was owned by the Sir Richard and Lady Brooke from 1926 until 1946. Sir Richard established a successful racing stables; King Salmon, his most famous horse won the Eclipse Stakes at Sandown in 1934 and twice came second in the Derby. Training race horses continues elsewhere in the parish to this day. The Elms later became one of the first English country house hotels and is still operates as a hotel and spa today.
Abberley has had a village school since 1717, the school has occupied its current building since 1859. Abberley Post Office was run from rooms in private houses until moving into the Village Stores, Abberley’s remaining village shop, in the twenty first century. The Manor Arms, the remaining pub, was originally called the Bromley Arms. Abberley retains two Church of England churches, but did also have a Methodist Chapel. Owen’s Garage continues to provide a car repair business, but no longer sells fuel or operates the local bus service as it did in the twentieth century.
Latest News Items
Dear Parishioners, Over the years many problems have been caused by illegal trespass at Shaver’s End Quarry. Although the quarry is situated in the parish of Astley and Dunley we are greatly impacted by whatever happens there. The last few weeks, despite the regulations governing movement and social distancing, have seen a huge influx on […]
Covid-19 – update We are beginning to see the reopening of some services and businesses across the district. We hope that you, your councillors and residents continue to stay safe. As we were unable to hold a Parish Forum in the spring we are considering arranging a virtual session. This will follow a similar format […]
Click here to download 4Rivers Churches- Notices for the week commencing 1st June
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD 4Rivers Churches weekly list for 24th May
Chairman’s Annual Report to Abberley Parish – 20th May 2020 Although the AGM, elections and Annual Parish Meeting are postponed until next year I thought that it would be of benefit to give an account of the Parish Council activities to date. This will certainly be known to future generations as the time of Covid […]
Malvern Hills District Council have emailed Abberley Parish Council to request a new street name from Abberley Parish Council for the new development of 26 properties on the land at Clows Top Road, Abberley (near Abberley Parochial (VC) Primary School). Abberley Parish Council would welcome Parishioners to choose their favourite option. To vote you could […]
Please see below for link to the 4Rivers Churches Notice Sheet for week of 11th May 2020 CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD 4rivers churches Notice Sheet week 11th May
Worcestershire County Council has a website where you can report WCC issues that affect You. CLICK HERE for Worcestershire County Council “Report It” Worcestershire County Council covers: Bridges and Structures; Drainage and Flooding; Grit Bins, Gritting; Improvements to walking Cycling, Bus or Disabled Access; Mud, Oil or Spillage; Other Road or Pavement Issues; Overgrown Shrubbery; […]